Thursday, May 28, 2009

Day 88

Weather:
Partly Cloudy with Isolated T-Storms.

Today’s Hike:
Camping (869.0) to Loft Mtn. Campground - 10.9 miles

Hiking the AT teaches you many things. For most people, the lessons that you take away are personal, but I believe that there are a few universal lessons that all hikers take away. One of these lessons is appreciation and recognition of the importance of life’s essentials and treats; one of these essentials is beverages. I call this beverage appreciation. Although this term could be applied to any consumable beverage, I have encountered three main beverages in which the term directly applies.

Water - We are 75% water, we can not live without consuming water, and water plays an essential role in cooking meals that keep our bodies nourished. Everyday my hike centers around water. How often do I pass water? How much water do I need to carry (water weighs 2lbs./liter)? Where should I eat lunch (do I need to cook)? Where do I camp tonight (I really don't want to lug 6 lbs. of water 5 miles to a campsite)?

In life’s rat race water is plain, it needs "flavor". There are few people that savor the crisp, cool, refreshness of water. Out here when it hot, muggy and humid and there's a ten mile stretch without water causing you to ration life's purist form of energy you savor every sip and treat it as if it were gold.

Coke - I can hear you now, "ugh! I love (diet) coke! I drink 2 liters a day!" To this I say sure, you think you love it, but I ask you, how mindful are you when you're drinking that coke? Are you watching T. V.? Are you taking a sip while staring at a computer? Are you having a conversation with your friends/family? Can you feel the slight fizzle of carbonation dancing on your tongue and feel your core temperature drop with every sip you take? Does your body fill with glee upon the mere site of a can of coke? Do you experience a moment of pure bliss upon taking that first sweet sip? I thought not. And unlike the outside world that can grab a coke when ever, AT thru-hikers get one about once every 10 days unless some wonderful Trail Angel has left a cooler along the trail jammed full of these 12oz. Cans of manufactured goodness. When I drink a coke I drink it mindfully.

Cold Beer - Ok, I’m not a beer drinker, but there is something about drinking an ice cold beer after a long hard hike. Your hot (no matter what the temperature is outside), your hydrated (from drinking real mountain spring water), but you still aren't fully relaxed. Your legs are cramping and your feet are twitching, then you round the corner and see that magic cooler that not only contains cokes, but the occasional six pack :) Or maybe your walking through SNP and pass a camp store that sells this wonderful, refreshing drink. How can you resist? You grab a can/bottle and pop the top. It says hello to you. You sit back a take a big savoring sip of this ice cold, slightly nutty tasting beverage and experience instant relaxation.

No comments:

Post a Comment