Friday, May 1, 2009

Day 61

Weather:
Warm and drizzly, high around 75 degrees.

Today's Hike:
Jenkins Shelter to I-77 - 11.9 miles

I woke up this morning at 7am and made a beeline for the privy before anyone else woke up. As I stood up the privy seat flew off and made a loud crash onto the forest floor. So much for being quite. All I could think about was that I actually had to touch that seat to put it back on; crap. On the upside I had a 360 degree view of a field of deer. Who gets that in the morning?

It's another milestone today. Today is the start of the third month on the trail. It's so hard to believe that I've been out here for 60 whole days! Springer feels like forever ago!!!! More so, the thought that I still have a least 3 full months to go is exciting and a little home sickening. I’m loving the adventure and making new friends, but I miss my pets (Jasmine and Grey-Grey) and I miss my friends back home dearly. I think of everyone often.

It's a town day for us. Muster's family lives in Beckley, WV which is 45 minutes from Bland. So, her uncle Timmy met us at the road crossing to pick us up. As usual, Muster reached the road crossing before me, and right as she stepped out into view, Timmy pulled up in his van. Talk about perfect timing! Instead of waiting for me, Timmy took Muster and Billy Hoot into town to grab some soda's and some chips. When they got back, they dropped the goodies off and were off again to pick up some pizza's for everyone making Timmy an official Trail Angel :) By 1pm we were drinking cokes, eating chips, fresh salad and pizza from Pizza Plus. It was delicious! As we sat around talking and waiting for Lil' Dipper and the Packadivas to come down, Timmy told us about the family home he wanted to build for all his brothers and sisters to retire at. As a result, Nutmeg tagged him as Homestead. So within 2 hours of being on the trail Timmy had become a Trail Angel and had received a trail name. We think is next step should be to strap on a pack and get on the trail!

So I’m off to spend a few days with Muster's family. I am currently not sure how long we'll be there. Muster's saying three days......I'll have to post an update when we come up with a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment