Monday, April 27, 2009

Day 57

Weather:
Sunny; High around 80 degrees

Today's Hike:
USFS 86 to Atkins, VA - 7.4 miles

The plan for the day was to hike into Atkins, VA and resupply and then hike out again. I pulled the muscle in the bottom of my left foot and hobbled the 7.4 easy miles down to the store and was ready to quite but willing to push on. We arrived at the Shell station (our resupply place) at noon. We ate lunch, resupplied, and charged up our phone and iPods. The Georgia Girls walked in around 1pm and were staying the night next store at the Relax Inn. At 2pm, Muster bought a twelve pack (swearing that we would still hike out – it was for the girls), and walked it over to their room. All I could think about was a shower and laundry. All Muster could think about was drinking a cold beer. Two beers and a conversation later I was getting a hotel room for us for the night. In no time we were showered, our clothes were in the washer, and we were drinking a cold beer and eating cheese puffs. My feet (especially my left foot) were thanking me.

Later that night we were joined my Early Bear, Prairie Dog, and Angry Beaver. Billy Hoot and Nutmeg cooked up some Morel mushrooms that they had picked along the trail. They were amazing! It was nice to have a night off. Back on the trial in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment