Tuesday, September 22, 2009

What Did I Carry?


My gear list constantly evolved throughout my hike. The list below is what I ended with.  I did not go through the pain-staking process of weighing each item. I had a general rule of thumb; if the item weighed more then 2lbs., then I needed to seriously reconsider its existence within my pack. In the end I weighed my entire pack. My pack weight varied throughout the hike depending on how much food, water...and wine I was carrying, but it ranged between 25-35 lbs, with an average of around 30 lbs. I also refused to sacrifice comfort for weight (within reason). For example, a frameless light-weight backpack like a granite gear or a go-lite pinnacle certainly weighed less then my Osprey Aerial 65, however, the Aerial carried the weight much more efficiently and comfortably.

The Big Four

Backpack:  Osprey Aerial 65
Pack Liner: Contractor Bag
Tent: Big Agnes Seedhouse UL2
Ground Cloth: Tyvek
Sleeping Pad: Thermorest Prolite Plus (Women's)
Sleeping Bag: Western Mountainaring Versalite (10 deg) - I sleep cold and took this the entire way

Winter Clothes

2 pairs REI long thermal underwear
1 Long sleeve, REI dry wick shirt
1 Mont Bell Thermawrap Jacket
1 Cabella's Lightweight Fleece
1 pair Colombia Titanium Fleece lined pants
1 REI fleece lined beanie
1 pair of black diamond gloves

Summer Clothes

(Note: I also carried summer clothes during winter)
1 pair New Balance Running Shorts
2 short sleeve dry wick shirt
3 pairs smart wool socks
2 pairs patagonia underwear
1 sports bra
1 pair REI gators

Shoes

Keens (Started with these)
Vasque Trail Runners
Montrail Hardrocks
Crocs (Camp-Shoes)

Rain Gear

Go-Lite Rain Pants
Marmont Precip
Sea to Summit Pack Cover

Kitchen

MRS Kettle Pot
Pocket Rocket
Canister Fuel
Titanium Spork
Cleaning: small piece of a towel, camp soap, and scrubby pad 
2 Stuff Sacks - one for kitchen supplies, 1 for food
lighter


Bathroom

Stuff Sack
Travel size toothbrush
Travel size tooth paste
Wet-wipes
Handkerchief (Pee-Rag)
Travel size shampoo and condition
Razor
Hair Comb 
Extra Hair-Tie


First-Aid

Stuff Sack
Variety of Pain meds (vitamin I, tylenol, aleve)
Band-aids (about 2-3)
Mole-skin 
Benedryl
Athletic Tape


Miscellanous

Trekking Poles
iTouch (music and jounaling) and charger
Cell Phone and charger
Headlamp
Camera (Sony cybershot) and charger
Extra batteries for headlamp
Buff
Bear Rope
Carabeaner
Duct Tape 
Water bottles were empty Gatorade bottles
Aquamiria
Watch (cheap one from Wal-mart)

No comments:

Post a Comment