Friday, October 9, 2009

Favorites

Aside from being asked "How was your hike?",  other FAQ's have been what were my "favorites". I've compiled a short list of these favorites below.

Favorite State: Maine (My second favorite was PA)

Favorite Hostel: Green Mountain House Hostel in Manchester Center, VT. The hostel was is run by Jeff Taussing, a former AT through hiker (2006). The hostel was so clean and comfortable; I felt like I was home. The hostel only takes 10 hikers which means it's quite, and for 15 dollars we get our own room, a shower, laundry, Internet, free long distance phone calls, ice cream, and a ride back to the trailhead.

Favorite Trail Meal: Angel hair pasta with Ragu pasta sauce

Favorite Shelter: Partnership shelter. This was the first shelter that we were able to order pizza at which made it especially memorable, but the two story construction also made this an interesting stay.

Favorite Hut: Mizpah Hut. Most of the huts through the Whites were unfriendly to thru-hikers. This was the only hut we were able to stay at that the staff was friendly, and accommodated all the thru-hikers that stopped in that evening. Other huts would turn thru-hikers away.

Favorite In-Town Resupply: Hanover, NH. There was a great little co-op grocery store that had a great selection of healthier, hiker friendly foods.

Favorite Piece of Gear: My sleeping bag. After freezing my ass off the first week on the trail I bought my western mountaineering versalite bag at Neels Gap and I never sent it home.

No comments:

Post a Comment