Saturday, September 12, 2009

Day 195

Day 195
Saturday 9/12/09

Weather:
Overcast.
Small afternoon drizzle.

Today's Hike: Moxie Bald Lean-To to ME 15/Monson, ME - 17.9 miles

I woke up at 5:45 am to the most beautiful sunrise over Moxie Pond. It was incredible to sit up in the tent and turn around to see the world waking up with me. This spot definitely takes the prize for the best tenting site along the trail. After taking sunrise pictures for almost an hour Grommet and I got ready and were headed north by 7am; a little later then we had wanted, but well worth the delay.

The hike into Monson was easy and included our first ford in Maine over the West Branch of Piscataquis River. As we approached the river we looked as if we may have been able to rock hop across. As we made our way out there we came to about half way and I quickly realized that rock hopping was not an option. The gaps between rocks were to large. Luckily there was a river bank about 10 yards behind me that I quickly made my way over to so that I could change into my crocs. Meanwhile, Grom was still insistent on trying to make her way across w/p taking off her shoes. Unfortunately for her she lost the battle when she slipped on a rock and her foot took a plunge into the water. She finished her ford in her shoes. Sucks for her.

The remainder of the day went by fairly quickly. We made it to ME 15 by 5pm and called Shaws for a ride into town. We were standing in our room within 20 minutes. The hiker feed hosted by Whiteblaze was going on at the baseball field in town, but we heard that dinner was BBQ chicken. Sorry, no dead bird carcasses for me. So instead Grom and I headed down to the Lake Shore Pub. After dinner we headed back to Shaws and took our last shower for the entire trip....weird. Also strolling into Shaws that evening were Billy Hoot and Nutmeg, Ink, and Whispy. Awesome to see friends at our last town stop before our summit; also very weird.....

Looking forward to the famous Shaws breakfast tomorrow morning.....yum :)

Today's Video's:

No comments:

Post a Comment