Saturday, September 5, 2009

Day 188

Day 188
Saturday 9/5/09

Weather: Sunny, no rain.

Today's Hike: Reddington Campsite to Carrabassett River - 15.7 miles

Five minutes out of camp today I turned my ankel and came crashing down on my right knee. I've fallen a lot, but this was the most painful fall ever. I had shooting pains from my foot to my upper thigh. Grommet quickly brought me some aleve and insisted that I lighten my pack weight in order to reduce the strain on my knees which were already swelling. Lightening my pack weight would mean she would have to carry some of my stuff. I was NOT ok with that. I sat there for awhile and argued with Grommet about this but lost. She took her food bag out of her pack put it in mine then gave me her pack to carry. Errrrrr. On the upside I have discovered how much I don't like her pack, which I had been interested in.

An hour later we were on the summit of Saddleback Jr., where Grom tried to argue that I shouldn't carry a pack at all going downhill since it was so steep. I drew the line, and made it down with the pack fine.

We ate lunch at Oberton Stream with Early Bear and Lil' Dipper,then continued northward. We still had 10 miles to go.

The afternoon was long. Our day ended with coming down Sugarloaf Mountain in the dark. I don't recommend it. It sucked. Nothing but huge oversized boulders on a 45 degree slope downward. We crossed the Carrabasset River by 9pm and met back up with Lil' Dipper, Early Bear, Rock Lobster, and Walkabout for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment