Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 148

Weather:Partly cloudy and humid all morning. Thunderstorms afternoon and evening.

Today's Hike:
Congdon Shelter to Goddard Shelter - 14.4 miles

Well, Vermont is welcoming us with mosquito's, biting flies, rain, rain, and more rain. Oh, and did I mention the muddy trail that feels like we're walking on butter? Ugh. Not the best hiking. I hear that VT is beautiful, but considering that we spend so much time running from the rain and slapping the flies that are buzzing around our heads it's been to hard to notice.

For example, it started thundering after lunch today, and we took off, racing the thunderstorm for 8 miles to Goddard Shelter. During my eight mile race I had at least four flies follow and torment me the entire way. I lost the race. A mile and a half before reaching the shelter Muster and I got dumped on. Soaking wet.....and there goes another pair of dry socks. Between the mud and the rain my feet haven't been dry in like three days. My socks are tearing my feet up and my toes look like they belong on a corpse. Yuck!

The Packadiva's and ourselves tenting at Goddard Shelter tonight. If the skies clear up it looks like we'll have a beautiful view of an evergreen forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment