Thursday, June 4, 2009

Day 94

Weather:
Sunny and warm. Evening rain showers.

Today’s hike:
Dicks Dome Shelter to Bears Den Hostel – 18.5 miles

I was up and on the trail by 7:30am Wednesday morning. Before leaving camp, Muster had stated that she would see me that evening at Bears Den Hostel. I told her my plan for the day and took off for my first real day on my own. I had 18.5 miles to hike, most of which was over the roller coaster. I was feeling the challenge.

The first 8 miles were really easy, and then we reached mile nine. Here, I were greeted with a sign, "Hiker Notice: You are about to start the roller coaster, 13.5 miles of (needless) ascents and descents. We'll see you at the Blackburn Center; if you survive....." At which point I gave the sign the finger, put my head down and started barreling through constant ups and downs all freaking day long. After the second peak I plugged into my iPod and sailed through another 8 or 9 miles.

I didn’t see anyone all day. Given my history, I had assumed that I was the last one to make it to Bear’s Den. I strolled up to the front door of the hostel at 4:58pm and stepped inside. To my surprise, I was the first one there. Holy shit! I couldn’t believe it! I beat Muster to the hostel. I drank a sprite and hung around the living room for awhile. I thought surely they couldn’t be that far behind me. After 45 minutes of waiting I finally decided to get into the shower and clean up. By the time I was done and dressed she still hadn’t arrived. What was going on?
I slipped on my crocs and headed back to the trail. Just as I was rounding the corner I could hear Muster talking to O.G. – she was planning my rescue. Imagine her surprise to see me there, showered and refreshed. For the record – I beat her by 1.5 hours

Bears Den is amazing. I had been hearing about this place for awhile – it was said to be a “must stay” along the trial. I agree. It's run by the PATC (Potomac Appalachian Trail Club) who know what thru-hikers look forward to at a hostel stay. What exactly is the standard? A bed with linens, (we usually get a wooden bunk platform and nothing else), a shower, laundry, internet, a whole pizza, a pint of Ben & Jerries ice cream, and a soda for $25/person all housed in a spectacular stone building. Amazing! I ate all my pizza AND my ice cream. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment