Sunday, June 28, 2009

Day 118

Weather:
Partly cloudy and warm. No rain.

Today’s Hike:
Camping to Delaware Water Gap, PA – 14.0 miles

Dear PA,

When I began my northward journey I’d heard numerous rumors and judgments about your supposive harsh ways. They said you were awful; a bully. That you were a place where "boots go to die." As a result I dreaded my introduction to you for weeks in anticipation and fear that the rumors were true.

Then one sunny afternoon after a dreadful rocky climb in Maryland, I crossed the Mason Dixon Line where we were officially introduced. Our meeting was a pleasant one. Aside from a light afternoon rain shower you greeted me and my fellow hiking companions with beautiful open lush forests and cushy pine needle covered forest floors. Your crystal clear streams were abundant and refreshing. Your vistas were incredible, unlike any I’d seen. You fed us fresh berries. I was falling in love.

Then something happened. You began to toughen up. You were becoming harsh. Although your forests and vistas remained spectacular the path in which you lead us through became rough and rocky. It was as if you had sensed my growing affection and began to build a rough exterior; to give me a cold shoulder. It was to late. I had fallen to deeply, and worked to overcome the stones you threw at my feet. I thought that if you could see how much I loved you, the walls you were starting to build up would soon crumble away.

Then, there was that amazing day we spent together. First at the Pulpit, then at the Pinnacle. You opened up; we looked into your eyes and felt as if we were peering into your soul. Our struggles through the hard times would surely be over.

But I was wrong. You grew harsher, more relentless with each passing day. You built up giant walls, and no matter how long and how committed I was you never let up. It was as if you really wanted to hurt me. Like you wanted me to quite first so that you didn't have to be the bad guy. It was horribly heartbreaking.

And so here I am a week later standing at your backdoor, hurt and bruised. My trail friends and I sit here and reminisce about the days passed, our trials and tribulations with you. Despite your harsh treatment I still find myself drawn to your beauty. You think you have fooled me, but I know better. Behind your river of rocks and zinc mountains of hell lives a place of beautiful green forests, open agriculture fields, quaint little towns, and friendly citizens. Still, I must move on. It is obvious that you aren't yet ready for a serious commitment. The love seemed to be there but the timing isn't right. Perhaps, one day, our paths will cross again. Until then, I bid you farewell PA, and wish you peace and happiness.

Love,
Katchup

No comments:

Post a Comment