Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 75

Friday, May 15, 2009

Weather:
Overcast, no rain.

Today’s Hike:
Lambert’s Meadow Shelter to Daleville, VA – 9.1 miles

We reached Daleville by noon, and I had never been so excited to be in a town. I was in desperate need of a shower and a recharge that only a town visit could provide. However, we were dealt a temporary blow when we arrived and found out that it was Virginia Tech’s graduating weekend and there wasn’t a single available hotel room in town. WTF?!!? I was almost in tears and temporarily contemplated getting a ride 60 miles up the trail to a hostel just so I could shower. Muster, Glowworm, and myself made our way over to the local Mexican restaurant for a food recharge and a group evaluation of our options. I was trying to accept that my shower would have to wait when Glowworm pulled out his trail book and began calling off all the hotel names in town. We had called all of them except for the truck stop hotel which hadn’t been listed in our book. We called and they had rooms available. Score! I don’t think I’d ever been so happy (or will ever be so happy) to know that I had a room at a truck stop hotel.

After a hot shower and a phone call home I felt like a new person. Tomorrow will be a new hiking day, and I’m ready for it ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment