Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Day 72

Weather:
Sunny. Low around 5 degrees, high around 70 degrees.

Today's Hike:
Laurel Creek Shelter to Audie Murphy Monument – 18.0 miles

Ah, there's nothing like getting your shoes wet first thing on a chilly morning :) When we forged our first large creek coming out of Pearisburg Saturday, I should havetaken that as a foreshadow of what was to come. Although that particular crossing remains the widest, we have since crossed at least 20 creeks and streams. I’m pretty sure they're all higher then normal due to the nine days of rain. Needless to say I haven’t had a single day of dry feet. Despite this, today was rather fabulous since it was sunny all day long! Not a cloud in the sky :)

Tonight we're tenting alone about a half a mile past Audie Murphy Monument. Someone is camping up next to the monument and my feet are done for the day so I didn’t hike up to see it. Guess I’ll save that for my next thru-hike ☺ I’m currently being held captive in my tent by the noseeums and other aggravating biting bugs outside. Guess that gives me a good excuse for an early lights out.

No comments:

Post a Comment