Sunday, May 10, 2009

Day 70

Weather:
Sunny. Low around 45, and high around 60 degrees.

Today's Hike:
Rice Field Shelter to Bailey's Gap Shelter-16.4 miles

It was chilly last night, the coldest night in several weeks. I believe it's somehow tied to Muster's karma. Every time she has sent a piece of winter gear home it's snowed. In Gatlinburg, TN she sent her down jacket home and then it snowed the next day. Then she sent half of her winter clothes home in Hot Springs, NC and it snowed. Yesterday in Pearisburg, VA Muster sent her winter sleeping bag home, and is now using her summer bag. Although it didn't snow (yet) it was really cold last night and this morning in comparison to the 60 degree muggy nights we've been having. I even wore my long johns until noon today.

Despite the cooler temperatures, today was absolutely beautiful - no rain! The forecast is predicting good weather for the next three days which is exciting. Hopefully we can get through to Dalesville, VA on Saturday without getting to wet (or cold)!

Tonight we're tenting at Bailey's Gap Shelter (which by the way I'd no where near a gap) with O.G., Hellbender, Leon and Halifax. We've been hiking with them for the past two days and I’m really enjoying new company, but at the same time I’m desperately missing all the girls (Packadiva's & Georgia's Girls).

I got a message from Tagless saying his surgery was a success. They both (Tagless & Tag Along) plan to be back on the trail on Monday, May 12th. I’m happy to hear the great news. Although we'll probably never cross paths out here again I’m wishing them both a safe, fun and successful journey to Katadhin and I’m missing them heaps!

No comments:

Post a Comment