Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Day 37

Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Day 37

Weather:
Sunny and cold. No rain.

Today's Hike:
Bald Mountain Shelter to River Rd./Uncle Johnny’s Hostel - 17.0 miles

The snowstorm that started late yesterday afternoon continued throughout the night. I froze my butt off, and didn't sleep at all. At 6:45am I started packing up my stuff when Muster turned over and looked at me, "I want off this friggin' mountain" I told her. We were packed and ready within an hour.

When I peered out of the cubby Muster and I had mad ourselves in the shelter we were greeted with snow, lots and lots of snow. The platform inside the shelter had a few inches, but the ground outside was covered in at least 1-2 feet of snow. When I stepped out of the shelter with my pack on I realized that the trail was gone, it was completely covered in snow. Crap, this is not going to be easy, I thought to myself. Muster and I were the first ones out that morning which meant we had to find the trail & divot our way out. With Muster in the lead we made our way up & down the trail, and through snowdrifts that were up to my knees. The snow started again around 10am and continued throughout the day. By 5:30pm we made our way down the mountain and stepped right into Uncle Johnny's Hostel. It may not be a Holiday Inn Express, but its not a snow covered mountain either ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment