Monday, March 2, 2009

Day 1

Weather:
Sunny and Cold. No Rain.

Today's Hike:
Amicalola Falls Lodge to Stover Creek Shelter - 10.6 miles



Cindi and I left the lodge this morning by 7:30am. The snow storm from the previous day had passed and everything was covered in a blanket of white. Absolutely beautiful, and very very cold. The thermometer on the wall read 20 degrees. I bundled up and headed out the door behind Cindi. I couldn't believe it; I'm actually out here. I'm taking the first steps for one of the biggest journeys of my life. I'm heading toward the Appalachian Trail. I'm gonna do this.

By twenty minutes into the hike my nose was running like a faucet. I was so cold. I dug out my bandanna and wrapped it around my mouth and nose to help keep my face warm. My fingers were also numb despite the gloves I was wearing. I just kept moving forward. I could feel the adrenaline running through me. I wanted to shout at the top of my lungs "I'M HIKING THE AT!" but instead I just smiled to myself and kept on a mission to stay warm.

I reached the sign for the Hikers Inn around 10am. I looked at my guide book and shouted to Cindi that we had already hiked 4.5 miles. I was so proud of us. We were doing awesome! A few hours later we reached the top of Springer where we met Many Sleeps. He was out there working for the ATC, collecting hiker names. After a quick survey and our first privy break we decided to move on to the next shelter since it was only a little after noon.

We reached Stover Creek Shelter by 2:45pm and decided to call it a day. Cindi thought we would be better off staying in the shelter tonight rather then setting up the tent on the wet snow. I'm currently freezing my butt off, praying to mother nature that I'll make it through the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment